Thursday, November 20, 2008

Time by no other name

Time, you are no friend of mine…
Taking precious things from me as you go…
Taking friends, taking family, taking lives…

You took the old pickup that stayed parked after grandpa died,
You took the life out of a widows eyes…

You took my great-grandmothers chicken coops, and her old front yard swing.
You took my great uncles pet raccoons and his loud barking dogs.

You took the family dinners I attended for 18 years,
And the picture window that made our living room glow.

You’ve taken the snow for 21 years, not leaving a flake.
You’ve taken my innocence, leaving only my mistakes.

You took my brother miles away, leaving not even his shadow to remain.
You took his youth, left nothing but regrets and sorrows.

You’ve taken dozens of summers and fears of August.
You’ve taken hundreds of sleepovers and several friendships.

You’ve taken uncles, aunts, grandmas, and cousins.
You’ve taken holidays, birthdays and 14 of my parents’ anniversaries.

You’ve taken backyard bomb fires and campouts.
You’ve taken at least a hundred childhood crushes and one first love.

You’ve taken my childhood neighbors floating guitar rifts and left busy highways.
You’ve taken hundreds of secrets left on the school bus and dozens of long distant phone calls.

You've taken late nights and a million laughs with my college roommates.
You've taken the first night I spent with my soul mate.

You've taken my first night away from home and the light I left on to help me sleep.
You've taken the moment when I realized I was an adult, and that home would never be the same.

You’ve taken my mothers memory of my first smile, laugh, steps, and words.
You’ve taken my fathers memory of my mandatory gymnastic meets.


Time you leave nothing in your place… but the future.
You assure nothing and leave no prevalence.

All I know is my future has high standards to meet.

The memories aren’t all good, definitely not all bad, but they are my life: and how I lived it.
They are the experiences I have to learn from, to grow from, and have come to love.

No comments: